Saturday, January 15, 2005

Footloose and Pox Free

We have managed to escape the pox after a close call over Xmas. 21 days after exposure and no signs of spots. Time to get around to getting Loll's jabs done.

I think that the family dynamics have changed too after the pox episode. People have been called to account over their actions - something that has never happened in the past. Of course, now that we did not catch the pox after all (in spite of the irresponsible actions of the other party who brought their infectious child to Xmas lunch even though Frostie Boy was only 8 wks old) it may be that we will be portrayed as hysterical and overreactive. You can never tell with families.

One thing that I have learned from the whole schmozzle is to stand up for myself and trust my own instincts. I didn't say anything at the time and we took Loll and Frostie Boy to Xmas lunch against my better instincts. Of course, I still think that it should not have been left up to us to decide whether or not to attend - particularly as we had driven 300kms to be there. I just didn't want to be the whingey daughter-in-law yet again. But from now on I will play that role if need be as I don't want to spend another whole month in limbo waiting for signs of an outbreak.