Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Did you plan to have such a big age gap?

This must be the question of the year. Although it is a much easier question to hear and answer than "so are you planning to have another child?".

I have two children (it still seems funny to say that) but for a long time I didn't know whether I would or even could. I am a subfertile mother. To make matters more frustrating I have also been diagnosed as having unexplained secondary subfertility. This is a somewhat weird and overlooked category in the world of infertility and its treatment. I can fall pregnant - eventually. I just can't count on it happening the way a normal fertile woman can and yet I know that it is possible. When you fall into this category dealing with medical professionals can be aggravating as some will tell you to just give it time or you could even hear things like "parents with one child often don't have as much sex " which is what one GP told me when I asked for advice about my inability to conceive.